Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Installing an Ikea farmhouse sink in an existing cabinet

Installing an Ikea farmhouse sink in an existing cabinet

I’m in love. It’s a shallow love really. The item of my affection certainly doesn’t return my feelings.  It’s cold, it’s hard, and most days it’s pretty sterile…but I don’t care! I have a new FARMHOUSE SINK…and I have entered sink nirvana!

But, let’s back up a little.  As y’all know I’ve been working on the never ending kitchen remodel …and we are close my friends, oh so close.  I am big on “ta-da!” reveals so I can’t bring myself to show you a partially done kitchen, but I also need to blog about this process to keep my DIY kitchen mojo.  Thanks for sticking with me over the last few months as I share the steps of my remodel without actually revealing the whole kitchen yet….I promise it’s coming!

As you might remember the first part in our kitchen redo was tearing out a very underused planning desk and replacing it with a beadboard wall and gorgeous antique buffet! Then we built a window seat in our bay window.  Up next I painted our ugly oak builders grade cabinets white,  added hardware where none existed and created my own cabinet feet !  Now it was time for new counters and the pièce de résistance a new farmhouse sink!

This is where we were before we started removing the sink and counters.

Not hideous, but not the farmhouse kitchen look we were going for. First the easy part. Removing the counters and sink.  Then we faced the scary task of installing an Ikea domsjo farmhouse sink into an existing cabinet.  And, after much research we learned it can be done! I stumbled across this fabulous YouTube video explaining exactly how to accomplish this.  I am such a visual person so seeing the steps and being able to watch it again and again was great!

We knew the main steps were to cut out the back of the cabinet as well as the front portion where the “faux” cabinet doors are located.

After installing the new counters (which we’ll save for another post) we notched out the edges that butt up to the sink to allow the apron of the sink to fit up against the counters.

Bama Boy wanted to make sure you saw what a great helper he was during the counter and sink installation…

A good hint when you are cutting on counters or any surface where you want to have a “clean cut” is to cover the area with masking tape.  This protects from chipping.

Next, we cut out the front top part of the cabinet.

This is what we removed based on the measurements of the sink and our particular cabinet.  Finally the back of the cabinet was removed per the instructions from the video. I don’t have an actual photo of the removal of the back of the cabinet, or of the guys dropping the 300 lb. sink in since I was on my fifth Lowe’s run of the day and those big meanies wouldn’,t take it out and re-install it for me so I could photograph it.

Geesh! I mean really? What’s wrong with them.

So, now here’s the part that wasn’,t mentioned in the video. See, not every cabinet is created equal or more accurately with the same design.  For instance mine must have had larger faux doors because after the installation I was left with this nice gap under the apron.  And, while I love every square inch of my new beauty I didn’,t particularly want to see this part of my sink peeking through.  We needed to cover up her “,underthings”, somehow. grin.

I headed back to Lowes..again…for the 55 millionth time now…no lie! okay so maybe a little lie…and purchased a pretty piece of trim.  Actually it’s window casing but it worked perfect for what I needed. I wanted the decorative trim to show up a little more on the front of the cabinet so I installed a small narrow piece of trim first that I had left over from trimming the cabinets.

I measured the length I needed and dry fitted the trim under the sink to make sure it would fit.

Then I measured and cut the decorative piece of trim with my jig saw that I inherited from my dad-in-law. It still works great in spite of being a lovely avocado green.

I made sure to dry fit my decorative trim piece as well

and then primed and painted both pieces to match my cabinets.

After the trim pieces were dry I installed both pieces using construction adhesive

and uses a clamp to hold in place until dry.

Source

0 comments:

Post a Comment