Tuesday, December 23, 2014

SunSetter Awnings

Consumer Complaints &, Reviews

SunSetter Easy Shades advertising as "Perfect solution for privacy" is a boldface lie! I ordered 4 of these from Costco and installed the first one during the day and immediately realized they afford NO privacy whatsoever. (see photo) I paid an electrician to install outlets for 4 motorized shades based on SunSetter's description of being "perfect for privacy" for $600.

Satisfaction Rating 1 /5

Based on their July and August TV ads, I ordered the promotional sales kit with all questions and answers about the SunSetter Awnings. I decided, based on the questions and answers, to order a SunSetter Vista 13 foot, manual operated awning. I called SunSetter and spoke with a very enthusiastic salesman. I told him I'm a 73-year-old lady and installing the awning myself was not an option. He told me the awning could be installed by most men. I told him I was not married, so it was important to have an installer or I would probably buy the awning locally so it could be installed. He said SunSetter had no one in my area, but gave me the names of two local business owners. Neither responded to my phone calls. It took me ten days to find a person to put my awning up.

I had 14 days from delivery to check a 100 plus pound item in a heavy cardboard cylinder for shipping damage or manufacturing flaws to notify SunSetter. OOPS. They didn't have an installer in my area and I didn't have a husband. Oh well, let's sell an awning and anything else. It took 3 hours for one man to put the awning up and he worked straight thru no breaks. The salesman said it took two hours to put an awning up. On what planet I don't know! Five hours later, I have an awning and a cover. My problems have just started!!

I crank this little 13 foot beauty out the first night to keep the master bedroom window shaded from heat and early morning sun - works like a dream. Shade comes to the area at 11 a.m. and out I go to crank the awning in for the day. I take hold of the crank handle and try to turn it to retract the awning. OOPS - The weight of the rolled out awning is so heavy that I manage one turn with great effort followed by three more turns that retract the awning 6 inches. I weigh 110 pounds, stand 5 foot 2 inches on my best day. Hope I never have to beat a storm or high wind. I couldn't do it.

All the questions and answers, nothing covered the weight of an extended awning regarding hand cranking versus a motorized awning. My awning is only a 13 foot. How many elderly people or women have purchased this problem not knowing? The salesman had all the answers, but nothing touched on this little problem. I called the company. Their answer: "Buy a three hundred dollar motor and have it installed." Question - Were they aware of this type of problem arising from other sales to elderly or smaller people regarding the hand crank. It is so hard to crank. I can't believe that without a gear system they would even sell a hand crank awning without telling the potential customer how hard it will be to operate. Thus informing the potential customer of what they are buying. The salesman knew I was a 73-year-old woman, and single. Shame on SunSetter for not informing me as to possible problems. I paid $2400.00 for awning and installing.

Source

0 comments:

Post a Comment